Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Deano's 55 Porsche Spyder Replica



I heard about this job awhile ago but at the time I didn't know what type of Porsche it was, when I walked into Dean's garage about a 6 weeks ago I had a smile on my face straight away! I definately wanted to paint this cool wee car. Dean isn't a panel beater but the work he did on the body was tradesman material, a lot of the door and bonnet edges had to be built up and in some areas about 10mm. I left him to it for a few weeks to get it ready for the paint shop. I had a week off in between jobs so for me it was perfect and even better my old boss allowed me to use his workshop plus a few materials to get the job done.








The whole car body is fibre glass with a gel coat finish so I needed to spray a few coats of 2k high build primer over the gel coat for the base coat to adhere to. The primer colour was almost black which worked well as a base colour for the top coat (basecoat). After priming I had to do go round the car and fill in any small pin holes etc so they wouldn't show up in the top coat. I used PPG Cobra Basecoat which went on superbly and 3 coats of PPG Deltron Clearcoat that left a perfect finish with very little denibbing required (sanding out dust with 1500grit). The car is back at Dean's now and I am doing the final bits and pieces to it so he can go parade the wee beast round Wellington.



Every time I walk into his garage I can't help but think to myself that I did an awesome job and thats what I really enjoy about spraying. Dean is over the moon with how both of our work has came out and full credit to him he did a brilliant job on the panel beating. It is a great feeling having a project that is a success.




Will have more photos soon.

1 comment:

  1. an awesome car and excellent paint job-another project well done!!

    ReplyDelete